Royal Manuscripts: The Genius of Illumination

Lovely exhibition at the British Library of illuminated manuscripts collected by the kings and queens of England.

I had been warned by friends that this was a big exhibition and quite detailed and they were right so I did find I had to pace myself. I loved the opening section of books collected by Edward VI. He had lived in Bruges when in exile and had brought make amazing books from that city.

The commentary concentrated on what the books were and who they were owned by. I would have like to see a bit more on their art historic context as I am sure there were links to be made between the illuminations and painting of the era but again that might have been one theme too many!

The most magical section was the display with prayer books which had belonged to various queens such as Philippa of Hainault and Elizabeth of York. Just so exciting to think they had held and used those very items.

Review
Guardian

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1