Fourth Plinth Shortlist Exhibition 2024

Fascinating exhibition at the National Gallery introducing the shortlisted candidates for art works for the Fourth Plinth in Trafalgar Square in 2026 and 2028.

I always try to see this show and vote for my favourite and love seeing how the ideas translate into a finished work. You have to remember that the maquettes are just concepts and not the detail of how they will be achieved or will finally look.

In previous years you have voted for two and I picked two only to find this time you got one vote. My vote went to Thomas J Price’s “Ancient Feelings”, a dramatic, huge, gold head of a woman. I love Price’s with and would love to see it writ large in a public space.

I was disappointed not to be able to vote for Andra Ursuta’s untitled work which presented a  hollow, life-sized equestrian statue covered in a shroud. It would be decided at a future date with statue would be used as the base. I thought it set up an interesting dialogue with other works in the square.

I was unsure how some of the other pieces with work particularly a giant yam with Ivy growing through it by Veronica Ryan. From the commentary I think the Ivy was planned to be real but it would not have looked as big as on the model.

To be honest any of the works would make an interesting statement and I’ve not been disappointed in any of the works chosen so far.

Stop press: since I went to this show the Andra Ursuta piece I like was chosen along with Tschabalala Self’s “Lady in Blue”.

Closed 17 March 2024


Review

Times


 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1