Frans Hals

Superb exhibition at the National Gallery on Frans Hals.

This was a beautifully hung show with an excellent commentary which was cleverly written in places. It was well paced with space to Iook at the works.

The whole effect was like walking into a jolly party and you wanted to sink down and chat with the sitters in the portraits. The faces were fresh and honest and I became slightly obsessed by ruffs and lace collars.

My favourite pieces were the group portraits either of militia companies or family groups. I was astonished that the Rijksmuseum had lent “The Meagre Company”. I also loved the husband and wife pendant pictures which had been reunited.

My favourite hang was the double portrait of Isaac Massa and Beatrix van der Laen, also from the Rijksmuseum, shown with two other portraits of Massa.

Beware I have a number of lectures and courses on Hals and the Dutch Golden Age so you’ll be hearing lots more about him from me!

Closes 21 January 2023


Reviews

Times

Guardian

Telegraph


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1