Beyond the Gaze: Reclaiming the Landscape

Interesting exhibition at the Saatchi Gallery looking at female, contemporary artists’ approach to landscape.

There were some interesting pieces in the show but I found the commentaries impenetrable. Can I make my usual plea for simpler labels. What does women “who work with full agency to define the worldwide view from their own perspective” mean or “revelations of suppressed libidinal energies”?

I liked Dannielle Hodson’s fantastical scenes which oddly reminded me of Titian’s poesies despite them being more Bosch. There was a lot to see in them but I’m not sure they were a landscape.

Kirsty Harris’s pictures of atomic bomb explosions were very topical with Oppenheimer having only recently come out.

A couple of the artists, Melissa Kime and Lisa Ivory, drew on British folk law.

Closed 28 August 2023


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1