Rineke Dijkstra

Beautiful exhibition at the Marian Goodman Gallery of stunning portrait photographs by Rineke Dijkstra. 

I loved the clarity of these photographs with their sharp focus and insight. I felt I wanted to know more about the people and their stories. The first room were standard family pictures of which my favourite was the one shown here which I hoped was of a former dancer and her daughter, an aspiring one.

I loved the two sets of pictures of sisters in each case including lovely clear pictures of them taken once a year over a period of 7 or 8 years. You see the girls mature and change to be recognisable but quite different by the end.

There was also an excellent video installation where Dijkstra had filmed groups of people looking at and discussing Rembrandt’s Night Watch. They describe the picture and muse on aspects of it, without seeing the painting you build a picture of it in your mind. 

Closes 25 July 2020

Review

Guardian



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1