Joanna Piotrowska: All Our False Devices


Strange exhibition at Tate Britain of new work by Joanna Piotrowska.

The show was made up of two series of work. My favourite was the one with the title of the show which consisted of photographs of make shift shelters she asked people to build in their homes in Lisbon, Rio de Janiero, Warsaw and London. People had used things they found around their house including umbrellas, a table propped up on books and plants. I think they were meant to represent the home as a refuge.

The second set was photographs and films of your girls posed in martial arts poses. The commentary said they were capturing the fact that “young girls silence their inner voice to comply with the patriarch society” but I’m not sure I’d have got that on my own. I just through they were rather odd photographs.

Closes on 9 June 2019

Review

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1