Mark Thompson: The World Distilled


Beautiful exhibition at Proud Central Gallery of new work by Mark Thompson.

This gallery usually shows photography so when I spotted these black and white photographs through the window I assumed they were large photos but I was delighted to discover that they were fabulous paintings. They were landscapes and vast interiors in layers of oil paint on wood.

The images were very distinct and clear but when you got close the brush work was quite broad and loose. They gave the impression of having a smooth finish but the paint was actually quite textured. The perspective of the interiors was very exact. I thought they had a feeling of work by Anselm Keifer From the commentaries I think they were remembered scenes rather than real ones.  .

Closed on 3 February 2019

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1