Mark Wallinger: Ecce Homo

Lovely installation on the steps of St Paul’s Cathedral of Mark Wallinger’s “Ecce Homo” statue which was the first work to occupy the Fourth Plinth in Trafalgar Square.

I loved this work when it was on the plinth so was very excited to get an opportunity to see it again. Even more exciting was that this time it is in our space. I was surprised to the figure was life sized as I’d assumed it was larger to get the perspective on the plinth. It was great to be able to walk all round it and to feel the cool of the marble.

It was really interesting to see people’s reaction to the piece. I had thought it might be hard to get a good picture as people would be flocking round it but people were sitting on the steps ignoring it. It was towards the end of the day and there were a lot of tour groups resting after going round the cathedral. I guess they didn’t realise that the figure wasn’t always there so there was little interest in it. One person look a selfie while I was there but I’m not sure anyone else was looking. I felt quite self-conscious walking round photographing and touching him.

This lack of interested worked well with the figure as it shows Christ at moment that Pilate presented him to the crowds in Jerusalem and it possibly says something about the modern world that instead of a hostile crowd he is just ignored here.

Closes on 22 May 2017.

Review
Evening Standard

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1