Fortnums x Frank

Wonderful exhibition at Fortnum & Mason of art from the collection of Frank Cohen, described in the excellent brochure as “one of the most important private collections of Modern British art in the world”.

This was a great opportunity to see some rarely shown works and to see them in such an innovative setting. Most works were on the main staircase but others sat on the shop floor. Trying to see them all took me to areas of the shop I’d not seen before.

There were some amazing works. As any regular readers may have realised I love British art from the early 20th century and there were some great examples I didn’t know such as three pictures by William Roberts “Discussion in a Café”, “The Boxing Match” and “Snooker”. All of these were studies of people at leisure in groups and I loved the way the figures fitted together in a flat pattern.

There were some great late 20th century work as well. I loved a Maggi Hambling in the 5th floor foyer of a bar with a mirrored ceiling so you saw the people below and their reflections above. Also great to find a Paula Rego on the back stairs!

Contemporary art was represented too with a lovely set of small heads with gold animal masks with witty titles all beginning “All I need is ….” My favourite being “All I want is to remain ignorant of all the good I’ll never do”.

My favourite picture was a Charles Ginner of Covent Garden on the 3rd floor staircase from 1932. I love the way Ginner uses paint almost sculpt a picture and makes the texture mirror the materials it represents, You to see a Ginner in the flesh to really understand it. Also who could resist Nicholas Monro’s “Dude Cowboy” fibre glass sculpture lurking in men’s wear!

Closed on 15 October 2016

Review
Telegraph


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1