Looks

Mixed exhibition at the ICA of work by five contemporary artists which looks at “how mass digital culture informs how identity is constructed, performed and challenged”. No I’m not too sure I understand either!

I liked the spooky sculptures in the first room by Sewart Uoo made of metal and looking very real and slightly decaying. These sat with a carpet by him based on a Cosmopolitan style website. Which I thought was rather fun.

I also liked Juliette Bonneviot’s pictures which were plain painted canvases but made from materials containing molecules or compounds that act like xenohormones. The materials used all come from everyday life such as linen and food colouring. Each picture had a commentary which described the colour and compounds used. They looked rather Rothko like but with an added environmental element. They worked rally well together.

My favourite was a video installation (yes I am saying my favour was a video!) by Wu Tsang consisting of a video called “A Day in the Life of Bliss”. It had a slightly complicated story line which I won’t go into, and frankly didn’t really understand but the bit I saw seemed to be of people getting ready to do out in a futuristic world. It was engaging but best of all it was shown with two mirrors at right angles to the screen so you saw the video and yourself from different viewpoints. Great sound system too!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1