Bloomberg New Contemporaries

Eclectic exhibition at the ICA showing work by promising artists emerging from art schools picked by established artists.

I am cheating slightly with this as I have already seen and reviewed the show when I was in Liverpool but I thought it would be interesting to see it again in another venue and see if different works stood out. In the end the works I had liked before I still liked and the one’s I hadn’t liked I seemed to blank from my mind because I didn’t recognize them but still didn’t like them!

There was a lot of rather shoddy painting and slightly odd sculpture as well as a room of video art which, as in Liverpool, I couldn’t be bothered to engage with. A lot of contemporary art seems to be about making a mess and then giving it a name!

As before I loved Bee Flowers called “Flow Body I” an art nouveaux plaque but this time it was being mugged by a neon grafitti style animal with a loud swearing sound track. Poor Body Flow sat there elegantly next to it, in a badly lit corridor with no space to breath. I guess the piece was out of place in this show but it was lovely.

Review
Evening Standard

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1