Canaletto-Guardi : two masters of Venice

Lovely exhibition at the Jacquemart-Andre Museum in Paris comparing and contrasting the work of the two Venetian painters, Caneletto and Guardi.

I liked the way it used different areas of the city as a focus to makes its points either between the two artists or between one artists young and mature work. I particularly liked one pair of the corner of the Canneregio canal as it included the flat I stayed in a few years ago! 

I came out preferring the pure clear images of Canaletto. Guardi had freer brush work and a more realistic view but everything looked grub bier and less defined. I think Canaletto's figures are more expressive, with a couple of small lines he brings a person to live. 
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1