Powerless Structures, Fig. 101 : Fourth Plinth

The latest sculpture to be added to the Fourth Plinth in Trafalgar Square.

I must admit I was dubious about this one and did not vote for it in the original exhibition. However now it is up I really like it.

I think it helps that I first saw it on a sunny day so the bronze made a lovely blocked contrast to the sky. The proportions work well so it imitates the corresponding general on a horse on the other plinth well.

I assume it is saying something about innocence and war but I’m not too sure or too convinced but it works well as a piece of public sculpture.

Reviews
Times
Guardian
Daily Telegraph

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1