Postmodernism: Style and Subversion, 1970-1990

Good exhibition at the V&A looking at design in the 1970s and 1980s.

I must admit at first I didn’t get this and, given this is my era, I expected it to grab me. It began with a lot of imaginative architecture but after I while I longer to see something which had actually been built!

In the objects section it began to come together but I wasn’t quite sure why at first it was only in the later section that it was because it was the start of design statements such as Alessi which I did notice at the time. Obviously the ground breaking early works had passed me buy it was only when something I could buy appeared that I sat up and took notice!

The best section for me was the performance one with a section on Grace Jones and an outfit, 2 ballet outfits designed by Leigh Bowery and wonderful videos of singers/performance artists of the era. At that point I got it!

I came away from the exhibition with lots of new images in my mind and a better knowledge of things which had influenced me.

Reviews
Times
Daily Telegraph
Independent
Evening Standard

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1