Fourth Plinth : 2010 shortlist exhibition

Exhibition to show the six shortlisted finalists for the next competition to find an art work for the Fourth Plinth in Trafalgar Square held at St Martin in the Fields.

I love the idea of using this Plinth for modern public works of art so rushed to the exhibition on its first weekend. It was a small exhibition in a nice space and it was great to hear people talking about the works and enthusiastically voting.


I’d seen press coverage of the finalists the day before and made my mind up which one I liked best. But on the day I changed my mind and voted for “It’s never too late and you can’t go back” by Mariele Neudecker. This was a mountainscape on stilts. From the press coverage I had though it would look dull from below as all you would see would be the bottom however I’d not appreciated that the plate of the bottom was a map of Great Britain. As one of the two winners will be in the Square during the Olympics I felt this was appropriate.

Reviews

Times

Guardian

Daily Telegraph

Independent


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1