Altermodern

The fourth Triennial exhibition at Tate Britain celebrating current trends in British Art.

This was a mixed collection of contemporary art. The highlight had to be the three talking robotic heads in the final room of “Giantbum” by Nathanial Mellors. These three faces mounted on machinery nodded, rolled their eyes and sang and talked. I found them hideously life like, mesmeric and beautiful. In an odd way they reminded me of Anthony Gormley’s “Fields” and Sam Taylor-Wood’s “David” both works of art I found it hard to leave as they were beautiful and there was a real sense that they were going to continue once you left the room and might do something different which you would miss.

Another stunning piece was Loris Greaud’s “Tremors where forever (Frequency of an image, white edit)” which translated the artists recorded brainwaves into vibrations in small white units on the floor. These made the whole floor vibrate in different places. It’s the first piece of art I have come across that you feel in a physical sense.

I also liked Walhead Bashty’s collection of glass boxes posted repeatedly around the word in FedEx boxes. These are gradually breaking in transit giving a sense of an art work being created by destruction.

I have found more to write about following this trip that I thought I had at the time and a lot of it will stay with me for a while. However I have to say I’ve lost my patience with video installations!

Reviews
Times
Guardian
Daily Telegraph
Independent
Evening Standard

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1