The Golden age of couture

Exhibition at the Victoria and Albert Museum focusing on the designers of London and Paris between 1947 and 1957 starting with Dior’s New Look and ending with his death in 1957.

This was a luscious exhibition of beautiful clothes. On the whole it was well laid out and I love the way that the V&A exhibit clothes in a way that you can look through the displays to see the clothes on mass and also see their reflections giving different views and a sort of life to the clothes. However I found the middle section which was imaginatively set out like fashion houses a bit cramped and not logical to go round.

I suspect the exhibition is a victim of its own success as it’s the weight of people which makes it difficult. I would definitely recommend trying to go on a week day not a busy Saturday before Christmas!

Anyway moaning over as the clothes were gorgeous. Women were women then and I felt quite ashamed of my badly ironed skirt and purple striped top and wished I’d made more effort! My favourite dress was a red pleated evening dress with such clever draping. It showed a real understanding of material and how it worked.

The day wear was so well tailored and the New Look itself was so elegant. It was fascinating to see the film of the underwear which was needed to wear it!

Pictures
Times

Reviews
Observer
Daily Telegraph
Evening Standard

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1