Trust issues

Thought provoking exhibition at the Ronchini Gallery by a group of artists who question reproducible medias from traditional books to website imagery.

The commentary says it is about “the inherent fallacy of today’s mass media”. No, I’m not sure what that means either but there were some interesting work.

I liked Rose Salane’s sculptures based on snippets of conversation and stories heard in public spaces. As well as creating the sculpture she invents newspaper clippings to tell the story. I liked one made of the side of an iron park bench with a plaster cast of a bag on it.

Augustus Nazzaro’s detailed paintings of printed documents were stunningly produced but left me wondering why! Like the previous artists I’d seen in the gallery next door he painting an image, sanding it back and painting it again with precision detail. I assume it’s saying something about repeated reproduction of images but it felt like overkill.

I loved Samuel Levi Jones’s work using out of date encyclopaedias,  law books or other institutional collections of information. He tears off the covers and sews them together to create abstract collages. These should be heresy to a librarian but I loved them! I liked the way they formed a grid pattern but had texture and felt like a shadow of what they had been.

Closes on 18 November 2016

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1