Jeff Koons: Now

Enjoyable exhibition at the Newport Street Gallery of work from throughout Jeff Koons career.

I know there is a serious point behind these works about consumerism, mass culture taste etc but whatever the point they make me smile! I love the fact that so much of it is very ordinary objects but not made of the usual materials. Who can resist an inflatable lobster balanced on a chair but made out of aluminium and steel!

There was one of the classic Koons balloon animals made of stainless steel which completely filled the double height middle room in the gallery which meant you could not only look round it but also down on it. I liked the steel reworkings of marble statues and again it was lovely that you could walk all around the works and look at the detail.

I loved the huge pile of Play-Doh in the last room. It looked so realistic but was made of 27 individual pieces cast in aluminium held together by their own weight. I loved the juxtaposition of the bright colours and the nostalgic texture. I could almost smell it again!

Closed on 16 October 2016

Reviews
Times
Guardian
Telegraph

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1