Kadar Brock: Gifts ungiven

Fascinating exhibition at Vigo of new work by Kadar Brock.

This is definitely a show where it’s worth picking up the press release. On first glance I couldn’t work out these pictures which just seemed to be flecks of colour on pale canvases with holes in. However on reading the blurb I realised he paints a picture and then undoes it with a razor blade, primer and a sander then repaints on that surface sometimes repeating that process until he has a work he is happy with. Each work has traces of the previous work.

I thought this was such an interesting idea making the works objects rather than paintings. I loved looking at the detail of the surface once you know what had happened to it, as the commentary says “What remains are strange ghosts and echoes.” It was a nice touch to include a more usual picture which I assume is the starting point for these works and the more usual image that they start out as.

Closes on 8 November 2016

 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Every weekend i used to visit this website, because i wish for enjoyment,
for the reason that this this website conations truly nice
funny information too.
Anonymous said…
Helpful info. Fortunate me I discovered your web site
unintentionally, and I am surprised why this coincidence
did not came about earlier! I bookmarked it.

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1