Margaret Mellis: Paintings and constructions

Interesting exhibition at the Redfern Gallery of work from throughout Margaret Mellis’s career from her painting of the 1930s though to her driftwood reliefs of the 1960s and 70s.

I liked the paintings of bottles which used bottles to form almost cubist shapes and to show how shapes relate to each other. I also liked a picture of a fish, a pan and a palette from the 1950s.

I wasn’t so sure about the geometric abstracts in bright primary colours which felt slightly out of place with the rest of the work. However I did like the driftwood reliefs. I loved the worn texture of the component pieces and the way she composed these into a scheme.

Closes on 12 November 2016

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1