Patrick Hughes: Perspectivision

Fabulous exhibition at Flowers Gallery of new work by Patrick Hughes.

I have seen his work before in Royal Academy Summer Exhibitions and love it! It really plays with your eyes and mind. They works are really hard to explain! I’m going with painted reliefs. A detailed, almost super real picture is painted across a 3D surface which means that it alters as you walk round it. Sections which first appeared to protrude actually seem to recede from another angel. They remind me of the 17th Dutch optical illusion box pictures.

There was a stunning picture of Venice which really brought back my recent holidays there. Also some of interior scenes which views of Venice thought the window. I loved some of art galleries but wanted to know if they were real galleries! The pictures on the walls were ones I knew but I couldn’t remember where they were to work out if it was a real space, however I suspect they are fantasy galleries sand don’t we all have them!

Closes on 5 November 2016

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1