Really Good : David Shrigley

The latest installation on the Fourth Plinth in Trafalgar Square is a large, elongated thumbs up by David Shrigley.

I popped to see it on the day it was unveiled and was a bit underwhelmed by it however it has bedded in well and is a nice edition. It fits the space well and the thumb is quite striking. The colour blends it in with the other statues and the shape mirrors Nelson’s Column and lines up well with it.
 
You have to love the British public who have voted for a big blue cock and phallic shaped thumb to sit in this spot in recent years. Boaty McBoatface I cry!
 
I don’t think it is a particularly profound piece and I have preferred others, but I think I can live with it!

Reviews
Telegraph
Independent
Evening Standard

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1