Mike Kelley: Framed and Frame

Large installation at Hauser and Wirth by Mike Kelley.

The work dates from 1999 and took up the whole space. The first section was a rectangular enclosure built to look like a Chinese gate complete with pink and red lanterns. The second was a grotto/landscape made of concrete with splodges of spray-paint colour with cheap religious statuary and coins.

OK I admit it, I had no idea what it represented or meant! Reading the blurb it’s saying something about the Los Angeles Chinese-American community and cultural collision but I didn’t get any of that form just looking at it! I think I just found it a bit of a mess.

Closes on 19 November 2016

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1