Lorenzo Quinn

Lovely exhibition at the Halcyon Gallery of new work by the sculptor Lorenzo Quinn.

I love Quinn’s work but I found it was getting a slightly saccharine and sentimental. I would rather have been left to think about them myself and didn’t need the quotes from the artist to labour the message. I still like his wonderful smooth figures and his use of balance in the work. I also like the high shine and finish to the work.

I like his hands set in circles which rock and it was a nice touch that the gallery attendants were quietly setting some of them rocking as you walked round. I loved a work called “Balancing our Worlds” of two people pulling against each other in harmony, yes I know that sounds like a contradiction!

My favourite piece was “Reach” of a naked couple with a ladder at an acute angel with the man supporting it at the bottom and the woman at the top reaching out into the unknown. Such a beautifully balanced piece with the ladder at just eh right angel and a sense of jeopardy.

Closed on 25 October 2016.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1