Robert Motherwell: Abstract Expressionism

Colourful exhibition at the Bernard Jacobson Gallery featuring the work of Robert Motherwell, an American abstract expressionist.

It has been put on to complement the current exhibition at the Royal Academy which I haven’t been to yet. This gallery is just over the road from the RA so pop over if you are at the show there. However I must admit it confirmed in my mind that I think I’ve going to find the RA exhibition hard going.  I just don’t respond well this this sort of abstract work.

The pictures I liked were those with some base in the real world such as “The Studio” from 1987 which I think you can see some semblance of a figure at an easel. I also liked “Mexican Window” which I didn’t understand at first but they did see in it a yellow house with a blue shutter. I got on best with pictures that had some explanation on the handout so here’s hoping the RA show has a good commentary or I’m lost!

Closes on 26 November 2016

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1