Yeats: The Life and Works of William Butler Yeats

Comprehensive but dense exhibition at the National Library of Ireland on the poet William Butler Yates.

I must admit I think I had done too much on the day so, when I did this show, I found it hard to engage with it. It didn’t help that as I started to look at it a group of European youth arrived and took over the space. They didn’t seem to be engaging either just talking selfies!

I wish I had known more about Years before I went so that the copies of manuscripts and first editions might have meant more. I liked the four little rooms with contemporary settings and good audio visual presentations. I particularly enjoyed the one on the Abbey Theatre as I was off there that evening!

I was also interested in the campaign to save the Hugh Lane collection as I had been there in the morning.

There was a good leaflet outlining Yeats life but it was a bit too much to read in the show so I’ll look at it as homework.

Closes 7 January 2024


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1