Mark Lancaster : Thinking and Feeling: Paintings 1960-1990

Fascinating exhibition at The Redfern Gallery of work by Mark Lancaster.

The work was a wonderful mix of styles from a very classic Yorkshire landscape to bright geometric abstracts. I was so intrigued I looked up the artist while was there to find he had worked as a designer for Merce Cunningham’s dance company and then with Andy Warhol. The latter made sense when I found a series of 12 small Marilyn Monroe pictures in different styles.

I was grabbed by a take on a portrait of Vanessa Bell by Duncan Grant which I love. This was so different and yet so recognisable. I wonder why he did it?

Closed 8 June 2023

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1