Samuel Ross: LAND

Interesting exhibition at White Cube Bermondsey of new work by Samuel Ross.

I loved the way you entered the space through a reduced doorway and that the thickly painted abstracts and floor sculptures were shown with a soundscape and smell of incense. This really added to the atmosphere and it had an installation feel to it.

I loved the object-ness of the thickly painted abstracts which I read as landscapes. They worked from a distance but I also liked getting up close to see the texture and depth of the paint and the cracks in it.

The commentary said the work represented “collapsed landscapes and supine bodies to explore the subject of Black experience” which I’m not sure I got from it or understood. A bit more explanation would have been good or just leave me to like the work.

Closed 14 May 2023


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1