Olivia Bax: Monkey Cups

Disappointing sculpture at the Royal Festival Hall by Olivia Baz.

I’d been meaning to come and see it for a while and had assumed it was outside but in fact it’s behind glass among the restaurants by the river. This makes it hard to see on a bright sunny day. Maybe I’ll have to come back in the rain! Having read the commentary as it’s made of hand-generated paper pulp made from recycled paper and discarded household paint I guess it wouldn’t fair well outside!

I am guessing from the write up that the piece won the Mark Tanner Sculpture Award which I’ve not come across before but it wasn’t clear. It consisted of three intertwined pieces which reminded me of pods you might get on a cable car. Evidently it shares its name with a shaped carnivorous plant which it mimics.

Closed 21 May 2023

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1