The House of Le Bas

Eclectic exhibition at the Whitechapel Gallery of objects and archive material relating to the shared life and experiences of artists Delaine Le Bas and her late husband Damian Le Bas and their perspective as English Romani Gypsy Travellers.

This was arranged like an installation with a mix of objects making up collages and interior settings. I loved the way drawings had been enlarged to cover the windows. I’d not seen that done in the archive space before.

I loved the addition of a working record player and a selection of records the artists had played. It felt nostalgic to spin a single again.

It was a wonderful way to show two lives and careers. I didn’t know either of their work but I’ll be looking out for it.

Closed 31 May 2023


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1