Skateboard

Interesting exhibition at the Design Museum on the development of skateboarding.

OK I admit this was a stretch for me but, I was there and as you know I’ll go to see anything. That said you can always learn something.

The show looked at the technical developments in skateboards since the 1950s with an emphasis on how design was driven by skaters themselves. It also looked at the social changes in the sport culminating with its inclusion in the Olympics.

I’ll be honest the technical side made me gloss over but it did show me that skateboards had changed more than this non-user had imagined.

Have pictures of the earliest pieces in the show, basically a plank of wood with roller skate wheels, to one of the most recent marking the listing of the skating area on the South Bank which I walked past later in the day.

Closes 19 May 2024


 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1