Maria Bell-Salter: Fruition

Colourful exhibition at the Garden Museum of new work by Maria Bell-Salter.

I was particularly interested to see this show as Bell-Salter organises and hosts the ARTscapes lectures I have been doing. She hosts from her studio and you see these big, vibrant paintings of flowers and plants in the background of Zoom events. It was great to see them in the flesh.

I love the boldness and colour of these works. Most were about a meter squared. They showed collections of flowers growing in the earth. They felt like a Dutch still-lives off flowers with the vibrancy of Impressionism.

I was interested to see an introduction in the handout by Frances Spalding, who I know slightly from Charleston. I remembered a conversation with her about a lecture she was about to do for ARTscapes and talking about the set up.

Closed 17 March 2024

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1