Nicole Eisenman: What Happened

Intriguing exhibition at the Whitechapel Gallery of the work of Nicole Eisenman.

I had not come across the work of this American artist before and found it odd but engaging. I was interested in how she often referenced older works like quoting Brueghel’s “The Blind Leading the Blind” in one picture. I often found myself laughing out loud which always feels an odd thing to do in a gallery.

I found it strange that a lot of her work seemed to quote Philip Guston with its pink, chubby fingered, one-eyed characters and yet this was never mentioned.

I preferred the paintings to the sculpture but did find they worked well together. I loved the last room with a sculptural installation incorporating a figure using a working potter’s wheel. I could have watched it for hours.

Closed 14 January 2024


Reviews

Times

Guardian

Telegraph


 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1