Tate Modern extension


Fantastic new extension to Tate Modern giving new floors for art displays but also an amazing viewing platform on the tenth floor, new cafes and restaurants and a new members room.

I loved the outside of the building up close. I’ve watched it being built and thought it a rather strange flat shape but up close the brick work is beautiful with spaces being left and some bricks off set against others. The colours match the old building well and blending the two spaces together from the outside.

I went to a members’ preview day and the logistics of the building were a bit annoying as everyone wanted to head straight up to the 10th floor viewing platform. The lifts were struggling to cope but hopefully as demand spreads more over a day and as the team learn how to control the flow of people better this will improve. Once up there the view was amazing and I liked the fact that the space had lots of strange shaped projections to stand in and get a panoramic view. I took lots of photos!

The art spaces on the upper floors were a bit small and disappointing but I must admit I didn’t spend a lot of time going round them. As with the main building the views and building itself are much more exciting that the art. I did like the tanks spaces on the ground floor. There were some interesting installations in there and I look forward to seeing how this space will be used in the future.

Reviews
Times
Guardian
Telegraph
Independent


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1