Lino Selvatico: A new Belle Epoque

Interesting exhibition at the Ca’Pesaro in Venice of portraits by Lino Selvatico.

These pictures were done around the turn of the last century (1900) and have a Sergeant like feel to them. All the information was in Italian so I’m afraid I was rather flying in the dark on this one! The works tended to have quite enigmatic titles so you didn’t always know who the person was.

I found the work a bit chocolate boxy such as a rather soupy “Signorina in Rosa” of a girl in pink with a monkey. Also a couple of rather hideous pictures of children such as Riccardo holding an owl. However I loved “La Vesta Rosa” a picture of a girl sitting cross legged in tights and I have to say he painted good dogs! Always a plus with me!

Closed 31 July 2016.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1