Exhibitionism: The Rolling Stones

Glossy exhibition at Saatchi Gallery on the Rolling Stones.

OK I need to confess from the start of this that I was quite grumpy when I went round this exhibition. I got there in good time for my booked ticket but there was a power cut on the area. It was just a blip but the show was so reliant to on music and videos that it took an hour and a half to get everything back up and working again. It’s a long time to stand!

Second grump was that for people like me who knows the gallery well there signage wasn’t great so I went round the wrong way! I by passed the stairs I was meant to go up but used the one I was used to instead hence I watched the 3D film of a live performance which was meant to be great climax of the show before I’d done the galleries on costumes and sets!

Grumps over the show was really interesting and concentrated on the band’s music and performances rather than their lives except for a small section on how they met and a reconstruction of two rooms of the house they’d lived in. I’m not the tidiest person on the world but I was desperate to clean it up! The miracle is now that they are still playing but that they survived that house!

I loved the gallery on the costumes and staging. It was interesting how their image had changed over the years also the complexity of the stage sets. I was also interested in sections on how they have been influenced by and influenced contemporary art. The grumpy bit of me however would wonder how many guitars you can look at in an exhibition!

Closes on 4 September 2016.

Reviews
Times
Guardian
Telegraph
Independent
Evening Standard

 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1