Tracey Emin: The Last Great Adventure is You

Mixed exhibition at White Cube Bermondsey of recent work by Tracey Emin.

I must admit I went along expecting to be annoyed by this show and I actually came away quite liking some of the work but with reservations. One or two drawings of a naked female figure would be nice, 24 becomes a bit samey! Also I loved the embroidered large versions of these pictures in the 9x9x9 gallery but as these were not worked by Emin herself maybe they are just copies of her work in another form not a different form! I have a bit of a thing about wanting to see the hand of the artist in a work and the role of craft but that’s my argument with conceptual art as a whole not just this work!

Ok I’ll be more positive now! I did like some of the sculptures, although I question why some of them were painted white and looked a bit cheap. I loved the small figures of a lamb and a lion on plinths at either end of a long table which I assume was saying something about ‘the lion shall lay down with the lamb’”.

I did like the drawings and it was actually quite interesting to see them the day after the Schiele as they had a similar starkness and directness about them. Just keep it to one or two!

Reviews
Guardian
Telegraph
Evening Standard

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1