The art of the brick

Interesting exhibition at the Old Truman Brewery of work by Nathan Sawaya made in LEGO bricks.

I found the show a little pompous in places but some of the work was stunning. I particularly liked the figurative sculptures such as “The Swimmer” the top half of a swimming map on a glass table and the three large masks showing different facial expressions. The show was really well lit to make the best use of the shadows thrown by the bricks.

I wasn’t so convinced by the pictures as the bricks gave them a rather pixilated effect. A few of the works were like shop displays such as the big dinosaur and the two op groups at the end but then I am a girl whose screen saver is the Queen and corgi made in LEGO in Hamley’s, so who am I to me snooty!

Reviews
Guardian
Independent

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1