Tacita Dean: Still Life and Portrait

Two contrasting exhibitions at the National Gallery and National Portrait Gallery curated by and looking at work by Tacita Dean.

I would normally blog these as two separate shows but the reviewers have discussed them together and I did make a point of seeing them one after the other so I’m going to follow suit although they were quite different.

I loved the Still Life show at the National Gallery. It was curated by Dean although it included some of her work. She’s picked examples of still lives from the gallery’s collection although she took a broad dentition of still life including pictures of stillness such as the tiny Thomas Jones picture of Naples. The works were shown with minimal commentary just basic labels and you were left to make your own connections. I found this approach made me slow down and really look at the pictures. It also had a mindfulness effect. Delightful narratives were set  up such as showing the Barberi sparrow hawk with a Gwen John of a bird cage and a video of Dean’s shown high up in the room of a bird on a telegraph wire.

However I found the portrait exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery annoying and too time consuming if you wanted to see the work properly. All the work was by Dean and tended to be slow, carefully observed video of studies of people. They were similar to Sam Taylor Wood’s David which I love but I found these on mass to be rather tedious. I also got annoyed that a lot of them were shown from projectors that were sited quite low so that anyone entering the room cast shadows across the screen. I loved the idea of the last room with six screens showing Merce Cunningham however the multiple shadows became very irritating. I suspect seeing yourself and others in the picture might have been part of the point but I didn’t like it.

I will find it interesting to see the third show in this series, landscape, which is due to open at the Royal Academy soon.

Closes on 28 May 2018

Reviews
Times
Guardian
Telegraph

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1