Anthea Hamilton: The Squash

Fun installation at Tate Britain by Anthea Hamilton.

The central Duveen Gallery has been transformed with white tiles into a bathroom like space which provides a performance area for a solo performer in squash like costume who moves slowly around the space using the plinths, stage and tube which have been created for them. I liked use of sculptures from the galleries collection within the space including a terracotta one turned around to show how it holds together.

I have no idea what the show means but I found it mesmeric. As you go into the galleries around it you find yourself popping back to see where the figure has got to. It feels very strange when they move towards you as I have no idea how much the person can see through the squash head. I’ll certainly be checking back on it before it closes as I think it will feel quite different each time you see it.

Closes on 7 October 2017

Reviews
Guardian
Telegraph
Evening Standard

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1