All Too Human: Bacon, Freud and a Century of Painting Life

Confusing show at Tate Britain looking at (quote) “how artists in Britain have stretched the possibilities of paint in order to capture life around them”.

I say confusing because isn’t the above quote what all painters do? From the adverts and titles I had assumed the show was about figurative painting in 20th century Britain but was confused by the inclusion of townscapes. I’m also not sure the commentary emphasised the quote, however as a general overview of late 20th painting and the links between artists it was fascinating. There were also some great pictures! By the end of the show I appreciated some of the subtle unspoken connections the show made about composition and style but it was a long burn.

Needless to say I loved the first room which highlighted early 20th century artists who were an influence on the later artists. As this included Stanley Spencer and Walter Sickert I was hooked. I also loved a David Bomberg picture of Toledo which looked an abstract mess from a distance but close up showed thickly painted buildings merging into the hills.

Great to have a room of Lucien Freuds as well and nice that the show allowed photography so you could take close ups of the brush strokes and patterns they produce. Also nice that this included one of the wonderful pictures he did of his back garden with a lovely pattern of leaves and ivy. I also liked a beautiful, tender head of Leigh Bowery.

It was also nice to have a room devoted to Paula Rego including her triptych based on Marriage a La Mode. There were two rooms looking at Francis Bacon but I’m sorry, however hard I try, I can’t bring myself to like them. I’ve just realised there was no Hockney, see I’m still a bit confused!

Closes on 27 August 2018

Review
Times
Guardian
Evening Standard

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1