Tales of Paradise: Gaugin

Tiny gem of an exhibition at Ordovas looking at the primitive in Gaugin’s work both in Tahiti and Brittany.

This was quite a large stark white space with four jewel like Gaugin’s in it! My favourite was a stunning portrait of a young Tahitian boy.  I am not a great Gaugin fan but this had a slightly Renaissance quality. It was also good to see a sculpture included as I find his Tahitian sculpture more interesting that the painting.

There was also a fascinating film on Gaugin in his own words playing. However it was slightly long and was being shown in a elegant office space. I must admit I felt odd standing next to three people who were working while watching it but I was pleased to see it’s on the website so I will watch it in full there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1