Saatchi Gallery/Deutsche Bank Art Prize for Schools

A surprisingly good exhibition at Saatchi Gallery of work by the 20 shortlisted entries for this prize for school children.

Usually my heart sinks at the works “school art exhibition” but there was some stunning work in this show, in fact some of the best I’ve seen at this gallery. I loved the painting of a piece of bacon which was done by pouring paint from a watering can, cleverly split in two for artistic effect, by Kanisha Thorne. I also loved “Rock and Roll Frog” by Poppy Bar aged 7, which was a super green frog playing a pink guitar! Witney Khan’s “Coming up for Air” was worthy of being in the BP Portrait Award.

However my favourite was Rosie Rendle’s  “The Babysitter” a beautiful back view of a woman with a plait. It had a Flemish quality.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1