Taking Shots: the photography of William S. Burrows

Interesting exhibition at the Photographers’ Gallery of work by the author William S Burroughs to mark the centenary of his birth.

Burrows took photographs throughout his life and according to the commentary his visual style often mirrors his writing style. I have to admit though that I have not read him so I can’t judge.

I did however find some of the images really interesting. I loved the set of a car accident in New York recording all angles of it and even turning away from it to record the buildings round about.  I also liked the self-portrait section as he never showed himself full face but in shadow or just seeing his reflection in a mirror, very clever.

Reviews
Guardian
Independent
Evening Standard

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1