Inside the White Cube : He Xiangyu

Interesting exhibition at White Cube Bermondsey of work by Chinese conceptual artist He Xiangyu.

I can sometimes find conceptual art a bit annoying and lacking in craftsmanship but I loved some of the work in this exhibition. Well in particular I loved the life sized deflated tank made of leather! I am not too sure what it was saying but it was a fascinating object. It was beautifully made and very detailed and I loved the honeycomb tread on the wheel chains. The lovely smell of leather added to the whole effect and made you realise how rarely smell is a factor in art.

I wasn’t so convinced by the pink room with casts of what he felt feeling the inside of his mouth with his tongue looked like. I think it got a bit lost in translation! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1