Chepik Retrospective

Surprising exhibition at the Mall Galleries of work by the Russian artist Sergi Chepik.

I had not come across this artist before and was really engaged by his work. Much of the subject matter was fantasy based which is not usually my scene but these were done in such an interesting way that I was drawn into them. Some of the work reminded me of other artists such as a Nevinson like picture called Big Circus and some Degas like pictures of dancers. 

I think I liked his landscapes and townscapes best and quite early on in the show there is a lovely Klimt like picture of a lake with real depth and interest. His pictures of Paris are wonderful particular those aerial views looking along the river.

I was also fascinated by his semi religious works looking at the history of Russia in 20th century as well as his truly religious pieces. I loved “Golgotha” of the crowd witnessing the Crucifixion with just the shadows of the crosses in the foreground.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1