Analysing Cubism

Fabulous exhibition at the Crawford Art Gallery in Cork looking at Irish artists who went to France to study modern art and explored Cubism.

These were lovely pictures which were hard to focus on when you first went in because you could always see another great picture coming up but most interesting was that the majority of the Irish works were by women.

I particularly fell for the work of Mary Swanzy who inherited a family fortune and had travelled widely looking at all the new isms in Europe (Vorticism in England, Furuturism in Italy etc) and also went to Hawaii and Samoa but ended up settling down just up the road from me in Blackheath! Her work was so vibrant and full of colour and life.

I was also fascinated by Mainie Jellet and Evie Hone who had worked on religious subjects in a cubist form.

I felt in an exhibition I had fallen upon a new world and group of people I knew nothing about and I want to find out more!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1