Yevonde: Life and Colour

Interesting exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery in the life and work of Yevonde, a female photographer from the early 20th century.

The show was in a new exhibition space which was quite long and thin. I was glad I’d listened to an online lecture about it so I felt I had a grounding before I arrived. The commentaries were quite wordy with long biographies of the sitters.

I do like shows like this that give a cross section of a society at a point in time but I felt I came out knowing more about the sitters than about her.

I did like the variety and innovation in the work from early use of colour, through rayogram portraits and her work for the emerging women’s magazines.

Closes 15 October 2023


Review

Evening Standard


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1