TARWUK: Posadila sam kost u zimskom vrtu

Interesting exhibition at White Cube Masons' Yard of work by art duo TARWUK.

The show was an installation of paintings, drawings and sculpture by Yugoslavian artists Bruno Pogacnik Tremow and Ivana Vuksic who work together as TARWUK. The title loosely translates to "I Planted a Bone in the Winter Garden". Talking of translations it would have been nice to have translations of the title of the works in the show to help think about the symbolism.

I liked the mix of sculpture and paintings but must admit I was drawn more to the paintings which were in a beautiful colour palate and had a feel of Klimt or Munch about them. I loved the patterning in them and would have liked to have known more about what they represented. 

In a first for exhibitions I've seen at White Cube in this show the downstairs area wasn't white but was painted a lovely shade of green which complimented the paintings. I don't think they'd have worked against the usual white.

Closes 18 March 2023


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1